We are recruiting for a new Competition and Events Manager!
Pentathlon GB is the National Governing Body for the sport of Modern Pentathlon with a rich history of Olympic success. We are seeking a Competition and Events Manager to join our Senior Leadership Team as we embark upon a new strategy. This is a fantastic opportunity to be involved with an Olympic sport in a critical role as we move into the Tokyo 2020 cycle and to shape and deliver a programme of unique, high quality world class multi sport events for athletes of all ages and abilities.
This role is based at our inspirational National Training Centre at The University of Bath and living locally would be advantageous but not essential.
POSITION National Competitions and Events Manager, Pentathlon GB
PACKAGE Salary range £35-£39k based upon experience
HOLIDAYS 25 days per annum pro rata (plus lieu days for weekends worked)
CONTRACT Full time role, based at Pentathlon GB Head Office, The University of Bath (although candidates not living locally will be considered.)
You will lead the planning, organisation and delivery and review of Pentathlon GB’s comprehensive programme of national competitions along with a range of international events.
The scope of your work will be broad and exciting and include:
- Ensuring the production and implementation of a calendar and project plan leading to the delivery of Pentathlon GB’s domestic and international competition programme.
- Establishing strategic working groups to assist with the delivery of the Competitions Programme.
- Lead the development of the new event management and CRM technology platform to provide a user friendly ‘one stop shop’ for event organisers and athletes alike.
- Produce and adhere to detailed budget plans which provide a surplus to Pentathlon GB.
- Acting as custodian of the rules and regulations for Pentathlon GB and building strong links with the International Federation (the UIPM)
- Creating and maintaining links with key external partners to optimise the delivery of the Competitions Programme.
- Ensuring compliance with the requirements of regulatory and legislative requirements in the delivery of competitions.
- Exercising overall management of the day to day activities at Competitions
- In this senior role you will be required to lead and inspire the team of staff, officials and volunteers around you through the creation and maintenance of a positive, professional culture and environment promoting an open exchange of views and an inspiring customer experience.
- Working as part of the wider Pentathlon GB executive team, supporting the delivery of the PGB Strategy with a contribution to development, performance and commercial activities.
The person specification
You are passionate about running outstanding events and ambitious, capable of leading and inspiring people around you and fostering great relationships within the sport. You are self-motivated, hardworking, enthusiastic and dynamic and are capable of working independently with strong leadership skills.
Whilst a modern pentathlon background is advantageous, it is not essential although you must have an excellent knowledge of sports and a willingness to learn. You must have a strong track record in complex event delivery and proven project management skills.
A meticulous and analytical planner, you will be comfortable translating your vision into goals and deliverables which you take great pride in delivering on time, in scope and to budget. Communication will be a strength in all forms, allowing you to get your message across clearly at all times and you are relentless in your pursuit of providing the highest quality experience for participants, applying a problem solving, innovative approach to getting the job done.
You will have a strong understanding, knowledge and experience in operations and be competent in using technology to plan events and record results.
You will be comfortable and effective contributing to a high performance culture; you have high professional standards and take ownership of your own learning and development.
You must have the necessary skills to play a leadership role in this vibrant new team, contributing to its vision and plans and adding real value to the organisation through the delivery of fantastic events and supporting a local network of event organisers.
The role is demanding and requires great flexibility with working hours often outside normal business hours and involving many weekends throughout the year. You must be able to drive and manage the kit and equipment and the role may require some travel in the UK and internationally.
Essential Qualifications and Experience
- Considerable sports event management experience (Essential)
- Advanced active knowledge of English language (Essential)
- Professional qualification and/or degree (or equivalent) (Essential)
- Competent in a range of technology platforms and packages (Essential)
- Marketing experience or qualifications (Desirable)
- Experience/knowledge of modern pentathlon (Desirable)
If you are successful in being invited to interview you will need to demonstrate a range of competencies required to contribute effectively to the Pentathlon GB Team in this role. You will also be required to demonstrate your planning skills and empathy with organising complex sporting events.
To apply for this role please send a CV and covering letter detailing your suitability for the role to email@example.com by 5pm on 26 May 2017. It is anticipated that the interviews will take place in Bath the week commencing 5 June 2017.